Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lorenzo Lamas' Llama's Lava Lamps

*In the theater: "Iron Man 2"
As much as I hate having to agree with a critic, especially when I can't remember what critic it was, I have to agree with the critic who said this sequel just wasn't as much fun as the original. It was also interesting to see that a scene nationally broadcast in the commercial for the movie wasn't in the final cut. The post credits extra scene was also a bit of a letdown, especially when it's already widely known that a Thor movie is in production. Anyway, The star of this movie ended up being the suits. And there are a lot of them. Makes sense. Just like in real life, once the plans get out, everyone starts making them. But the number of suits in this movie drowns out the interactions between the characters that made the first movie so entertaining. Am I sorry I went to see this movie? Not really. I am sorry I ate some of that nasty movie theater popcorn though. Next time, the Boss can get her own sack of that nasty crap. Do I think the movie would have been just as good if I had waited to see it until it got to DVD? Yes.

*One of the greatest things about mai tais? A full days supply of vitamin C in every glass.

*On DVD: "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus"
Terry Gilliam makes weird movies. Always has. They are usually visually amazing and rife with hidden meanings, metaphors, and all other sorts of bizzare stuff. This movie continues in that tradition. The Boss had told me more than once that this was the movie Heath Ledger was working on when he died, and that she wanted to see it. I don't remember her saying this, but she has convinced me that it was indeed so. To get around the lack of a lead actor, Jude Law and Johnny Depp step in to play the same character at different points in time. As odd as this sounds, it actually makes the story ring more true. I won't even make an attempt to describe the story, as I don't think I could do it any justice. I liked this move. I'm sure there's a lot of it that I didn't get, but I liked it anyway. If you prefer movies where every last iota of the storyline is spelled out for you in minutia, don't rent this movie.

*On the turntable:
"The Best of Andy Griffith"-Andy Griffith
"Why Is There Air?"-Bill Cosby
"Down to Earth"-Jonathan Winters
"Inside Shelly Berman"-Shelly Berman
"Ilikai"-Arthur Lyman
"The Steve Martin Brothers"-Steve Martin
"Tour de Farce-American History and Other Unrelated Subjects"-The Smothers Brothers

*OK, since everyone out there already thought that I hated mowing the yard (which isn't really the case. I hate having to mow the yard so that it meets the expectations of others. Left to my own expectations, I have no problem mowing), I went ahead and did something about it. I hired out the mowing duties. One of my neighbors has a son who, as most teenagers are, is looking for ways to make some money this summer. So, I get to help him out with a few bucks here and there, and I don't have to worry about the yard.

*Going to head into the wilds of suburbia Saturday evening to attend an event with some fellow tikiheads. As this will be my first time meeting these folks, I'm hoping all goes well, but I'm not sure if I'll be going bowling afterwards or not. I'm thinking that is an activity that will no longer agree with either my wrists or my knees. Should they need someone top sit on the sidelines and freely distribute mockery, that I can do.
*The massive upgrade to the computer software at work seems to have gone quite a bit smoother than I thought it would. Not that I'm complaining.
*We seem to have gotten a rather massive amount of rain over the past couple of days. I don't really tend to care about things like that unless the sump pump decides to have issues. Well, it's decided to have issues. And, since I don't care to have a soggy basement, a plumber will be out in the morning to figure out what needs to be done to remedy the situation. I imagine that somewhere along the line it will involve writing a out a rather large check.

*I have used the word 'massive' in the first sentence of the previous 2 paragraphs. Oops. Make that the first sentence of the last 3 paragraphs.

*

No comments: