Sunday, December 30, 2012

The In-Between Time

(This was originally published 12.27.12)

*The best way to start your Christmas morning? Beats me. I can tell you that it ISN'T having two dogs puking in the living room while you're trying to get shit together and get out of the house.

*Finally starting to feel like winter out there. I really don't like that. At least the first couple of real winter storms this season either missed us or just kinda side-swiped us.

*Watched most of my free time on Friday just evaporate right before my eyes today. The only good thing that might come of it is some tasty goat korma.

*Thank goodness I don't rely on Santa to keep me stocked with new games. Jackass stiffed me again this year. Luckily, the folks over at New Game in Town had a very conveniently timed 20% off sale that encouraged me to grab a quartet of new games. Now, I just need for Ikea to have a conveniently timed 20% off sale so that I can get more cabinets for all my new games.
*Crap. I still need to get the November meeting minutes posted before tonite.

*This is the only time of the year when I can get sick of cookies. Still have candy around the house, but that doesn't really interest me. I'm pretty sure there's still stuff around from Halloween, which shows how much candy I eat. The mere thought of cookies right now makes my stomach do a slow roll and my pancreas go into spasms. That being the case, I'm thinking there will be a lot of stuff going into the freezer in the next few days.

*I am still of the mind that holidays, much like vacations, should not leave you feeling sleep deprived, strung out, and ready to inflict mayhem. Yet, here I am again. Why are there such ridiculous expectations of endlessly repeated perfection on this particular holiday? All it takes is one teeny tiny miscalculation, and the whole thing goes off the rails. Guess I can't operate at that level when it comes to this particular event. The latitude for fun has been weaned out in favor of the mindset that things. Must. Go. As. Planned. Don't like it. Ghosts of Bill? Probably. Or at least shades of them. Starting to realize there's a lot of them out there in places I hadn't realized. Lots of slightly bent and fragmented things that have drifted into all sorts of places. Which is not enough in and of itself to banish them. And some of them are getting stronger, which is doubly problematic. Need to try and understand what I can control and what I can't. And just why there are things I feel the need to control.


***

No comments: