Sunday, September 21, 2008

The State of Things

I knew there were things that have been on my list of things to do for way too long. One of them has been to check and see why the light in the laundry room flickers on occasion. Well, I finally got around to checking it. In retrospect, I should have done it a long time ago. When I puled the wall switch, I found that it was a mid circuit switch, which was somewhat odd. Whoever installed it also used the push in connectors on the back of the switch instead of the screw connectors. I changed the wires to the other terminals, but beyond that, I couldn't see anything wrong with the switch or the way it was wired. So, I got up on a stool and took the light fixture off of the ceiling. Didn't seem to be anything wrong with it. It was wired properly, and was even grounded like it should be. The socket threads seemed to be a bit chewed up on the inside, but not so much as to be a problem. I took the whole thing down to give it a closer check, and then that was when I saw that one of the lead wires to the socket had cracked insulation. And, when I poked at it with my finger, a large section of the wire's insulation just fell away. Not good. Worse considering that that wire was running right next to a metal frame element of the light fixture. Should that have arced when the light was installed, it could have started a nice little fire that would have gone right into the joist space and could have then crossed the entire width of the house in no time. What a comforting though that was. Makes me think I should really get to the things on my list sooner rather than later. Mostly because I'm sure that my insurance doesn't cover stupidity. But on the upside, that fixture is now resting in the trash, and a new one occupies it's spot on the ceiling. Now, if I could just bring myself to get all the paperwork done.

Seems that Dhawk has found a snazzy little nest in the hills of AZ.

MSD is currently outpacing me in the category of 'Completed Art Pieces'.

Knowing Trotz is costing me a lot of money, but I really like the new floor in my studio.

The folks are gone, and litter box duty has fallen into our hands (so to speak).

The Prius is growing on Pinklady, oddly enough.

The check has been sent, the die cast, and my commitment made to at least attend some part of my reunion.

I really don't want to have to pick out a new furnace.

Wonder what the Goaltender is up to.

The sale at St Peter's netted me a stack of LP's, but no games.

Gonna take a nice long ride tonight.

No comments: