Monday, April 26, 2010

Messy Orange Castanet Strings

*People are weird about art. Especially if it's a piece or style they don't like or 'get'. That's mostly what I would consider an interpretational issue on their part, though. You have to remember that not all styles and types of art are going to resonate with all people, and that's OK. It also seems that people are weird when they know, or even think, that a piece of art was made based on them. I think it revolves mostly around someone trying to juxtapose their self image against an artistic style that, again, they may not like or 'get'. Plus, for as much money as people spend on trying to look good, fashionable, hip, young, or whatever, they really don't like to know that someone is actually looking at them. And I mean that not in the casual sense of glancing at someone as they pass by on the street. I mean really looking at them. Most people tend to get really uncomfortable with that. But a lot of times, that's where the art is. It's there, you just have to look for it. But people get all wiggy when you look at them for to long. My solution? Just don't tell them that you're looking. This does tend to work, as long as you're not Captain Obvious about it. Anyway, that whole mess brings me at least back to reaching distance of the point I was going to try and make. Which is: I have always had trouble naming art I've made. It does seem that after putting all that work into something, you should give it a proper name. I just can't often come up with good ones. So, I usually just name it after what it was that gave me the idea in the first place, followed by a numerical identifier (i.e.: red car #27). That gives me a mental bookmark to go back to if I want to do another version of that image. The numbers just let me keep things in order of production. Not a bad way of doing things, I thought. Until I started using the people around me as inspiration for my art. Thus, the names of the pieces took on the names of those who inspired them, and the range of reactions has been unimaginable. Very positive to very negative and infinite degrees of everything in between. And another surprising thing is that I apparently only know one person with each name. Maybe the Bob or Ted or Sue that the piece was named after isn't you. Maybe you would like it to be. Or not. Feel free to ask. I may tell you. Or not.

*It has come to my attention that I may be a victim of identity theft. I am not at all happy about this. And hearing about it via the IRS is never, never, never, NEVER a good thing.

*

No comments: