Saturday, March 8, 2014

Subsonic Cigar

*Was going to expand my X-Wing fleet the other day, until I started doing some more reading about Star Trek: Attack Wing. I had already gotten the XW base set and a couple of additional ships, and I liked the system for the most part. And, I do prefer Star Wars to Star Trwek. So, the idea of starting an entirely new system, as well as switching mythos seemed unnecessary at best. Still, I went to BGG and read a bunch of posts comparing the two systems, and I think I just might end up getting myself an ST:AW base set. The idea that ST:AW is hyper-customizeable is something I really like and it also makes up for the quality difference in the minis (this from the guy who still uses cardboard stand-ups to play Battletech). I think I'll still get some more ships for my XW setup (I simply MUST have a rebel transport or three!! (That's sarcasm, BTW)), but it does sound like ST:AW is going to be worth a try.

*My copy of Fortress America is now worth substantially less than it was as I actually made the mistake of opening it, assembling the pieces, and punching out all the tokens. Silly me, I thought games were for playing.

*Good thing I got that reminder call today, since I had no idea that I had a doctor's appointment on Monday. I had been thinking I was about due for another talk on the importance of medication compliance from Mike.

*Over a month away, and already people are asking what I want for my birthday. This despite me telling people over and over that I don't walk around with a list of stuff that I want in my pocket. So, you know what that means...yup... gonna end up with gift cards.

*I will not be drawn into this pointless hope that spring may actually be starting, since the weather will no doubt turn around and piss on us yet again.

*The email said there were around 50 tickets left for Ohana. Someone wants to wait for South Ohana 2015 to attend another one, but since I haven't been in two years, I think, I'd kinda like to go to Lake George again. It's also supposed to be a convention year, so that means things start on Wednesday, which would add a couple of days to the hotel stay (basically a week). Plus I'm just not sure that 'm up to 2 days on the road in both directions, either. But, I haven't been able to go through the fezzing ceremony yet, either. So, the waffling continues.

*Heading down to see the family next weekend. Hope to see some other folks as well. A lot of places should be celebrating St. Pat's day, so could be interesting to see what's going on in Peoria.

*Finished a rough work based on an idea that's been rattling around in my head for quite a while. Of course, it didn't really turn out the way I wanted it to, but it wasn't bad. Did give me some ideas for the next version, though. And actually, as I was writing that last sentence, I had another idea for yet another version of that piece. I also found that I may have to slightly change my opinion of Sharpies, as the brush tip black marker that I used for this piece worked quite well.

*There are times, infrequent as they may be, that I regret not going to medical school.

*Had the interesting thought the other day that if I was to get a 3D printer, I could basically make as many HeroScape terrains as I wanted to. Might also be able to make double height tiles to use for BattleTech maps. The main question I had was would the cost of making them that way, not to mention the hardware cost and the cost of the plastic, outweigh what I would spend if I were to get more from, say e-Bay. Since HS terrains are no longer being made (at least as far as I know), the supply is finite and collectors could drive the price in either direction, which means that at any given point in time it could vary as to whether it would be cheaper to make them or buy them. I'm also unsure if the printer comes with any imaging/scanning capability, or if that's another piece of equipment and software. Still, It could open up all kinds of doors for making custom game pieces and replacement parts for older games. Like that one stinking wrench I lost from my copy of Water Works.

*I keep getting Final Fight and Streets of Rage mixed up.

*****

No comments: