Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Coiled Broccoli Toothpicks

*An interesting question regarding art, and one you may not often think of is, do you scale the piece to fit your vision, or do you scale your vision to fit your materials? Or maybe you scale your vision to fit your budget. I've done all three, but probably done more of the last one than any of the others. I can't really say if that's a bad thing or not.

*Got nothing fun lined up to do this Friday. Gotta work the weekend, so that's out of the question. Not sure what I might do with myself. I know that what I should do with myself is spend the day going after all the paperwork on the desk and then bathing in mosquito repellent so that I can go outside and clean up the yard a bit. Would like to break in the new bags set, but Bart is out of town. Which reminds me that I need to get online and print out some rules so I know how far apart to set up the boards and all that stuff. Sheri had asked me if I was going to put some tiki style art on the boards, since I got the plain wood ones. That was actually a pretty good idea, but I don't want to have to work around or through the clear coat on them, so for now I'll just leave them as they are.

*Found a chrysalis on the tiki by my front door the other day. Was kind of surprised by that, since I hadn't seen too many monarchs out front this year.

*OK, I tried the Kraken rum mixed with Dr. Pepper, per a suggestion on the FOM forums. But, since I didn't have an actual lemon to make a twist with, I used a splash of lemon juice, which I understand is not the same thing. Anyway, this particular concoction wasn't too bad. Not at the top of my list, but not so bad that I regret buying the six of Dr. Pepper shorties. I haven't been able to find Fresca in short cans yet, so I haven't been able to try an After the Storm (also a FOM forum suggestion). Maybe I should have just gotten that 2L bottle of Fresca that I saw, since it's sooo much cheaper than ginger beer. Right now, the mix mai tais are just too heavy, but that doesn't change the fact that I still have a coconut full of limes that need to be dealt with.

*The earwigs are out. And the Japanese beetles. Yay. I don't know what makes me think I could live in a tropical or sub-tropical environment when I have such an active dislike of bugs. Guess that means the desert is moving up a notch or two on the list of preferred places to live.

*How damn Stoned do you have to be to think that a live action version of the Smurfs is a good idea?!?!?

*Managed to get one of the days of the Chef's anniversary off without having to owe anyone a favor. Means I have to work five in a row week after next, but it does make sure that I'm lined up for some fun later on in the month. Means I also have to get at least one piece done for the raffle, since I said that I would bring something to contribute. I had thought that the party at the Chef would mark the start of my initiate trials since it's supposed to be a big event, but I had forgotten that I said I was available for Adopt-A-Road duty on the 17th. Now I'm thinking that will be the start of my trials, especially since my sponsor will be there. Then again, they could just show up on my doorstep witout warning to start my trials.

*K and Z were supposed to be coming down this week, but I have yet to hear anything more about that. Probably a good thing, since we swiped the stealth car from the folks.

*Bad struts, bad front sway bars, feathered tires, and a mystery problem in the restraint system. That was the initial report on the Ford. All we asked for was to have the tires rotated and the oil changed. Now, the Boss is all upset thinking that her car is going to become a money pit. But, when I put forth the idea of buying her a new car, she gets upset. She keeps saying that it's my turn to get the new car, to which I reply that I don't mind the car I have right now. Mind you, that could change when I hear back from Motor Works. So, at the moment, we're waiting for repair estimates on the Ford, the Mazda is under scrutiny, and both of us are hoping we don't have to go through the hell that is shopping for a new car. On another car related note, I had seen a Kia Soul when we were out at the flea market last Sunday and it kinda caught my eye. Sheri hadn't seen it and had no idea what they looked like, so we went by one of the local car dealers so she could see one up close. After walking around it a couple of times, she declared that she knew why I liked it. When I asked why she thought that was, she said that I liked the car because it resembled a bulldog. I may be able to take issue with her perception in this case, but her reasoning is sound.

*I need to synch up my I-Pod. Get that Clapton off of there and replace it with something I'll actually listen to.

*

No comments: