Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Pocket Full of Octopus

*Yup it's a new year. Do I have any resolutions? Not really. Got some changes I'm making, but I wouldn't really call them resolutions. More like things I should have been doing all along.

*"Casa De Mi Padre"-I put this movie in my Netflix instant queue because I think I remember hearing good things about it. Turns out that this is indeed another one of Will Ferrell's parodies of a stereotype movies. And, since I don't watch any telenovellas, this one is lost on me. I can understand some of the jokes and sight gags, but overall, I just don't get it.

*It is no longer a car that Honda owns that I am paying on. It is now MY car. Which is NOT to say that it will now begin falling apart. That's what happens when the warranty runs out.

*"Pete Smalls is Dead"-Sheri expressed interest in ths movie after seeing Peter Dinklage in "Game of Thrones", and we finally got around to watching it after it sat in our queue for weeks. It's quite a strange movie. Not bad strange, just strange. That kinda strange that leaves you thinking that there was more to the movie than you actually understood. So, if that's the kind of movie you like, check it out. Otherwise, you may just want to check it out solely for the bizarre (and fairly creepy) hairdo sported by Steve Buscemi.

*Still looking for additions to my HeroScape game system, so if you run across anything out there in thrift store/garage sale land, be sure to let me know. I'm most interested in getting more terrain sets, but I'll take a look at anything, as long as the price is right. And possibly if the price is wrong

*Looks like I'll be heading down to the Peoria area for the weekend of the 19-20th. Gonna head out to Pekin and drop in on Mom and Grandma. Also plan on visiting Steve, and who knows what other trouble I'll manage to get into while I'm in the area. Probably not as much as I'd like, mostly because I'm old, and partly because Sheri will be going with me.

*My current earworm is the song "Rock-A-Ho", by Jackyl. I have no idea why. Then again, that is what makes it an earworm, right?

*Finally came up with a good way to carry my FlexCut carving tools around without slicing myself to ribbons or damaging the blades. I have this really nice bamboo pencil box that I was just using as storage for all my duplicate colored pencils, and it turns out that it is just the right size to hold that four piece set that I have. Put some foam in there to sheathe the blades and keep things in place, and now I have a nice transport box for those sharp little bastards. Need to either put a strop loose in there with the tools, or attach it to the lid somehow. And even though the box does have a magnetic latch, I might add something else to keep it extra secure. I wonder if it would fit in that magazine pouch that Bart gave me? Have to check on that .

*50 degrees? In Illinois?? In January??? Sorry, but that just aint right. But then again, I am basing this rant on a forecast that is a week out.

*Had a couple of new (short?) story ideas that I need to work on fleshing out. Might even start posting them serially, if I can get either one of them to hang together.

*Coming up on a weekend off, and all I'd really like to do is lock myself in the studio for the whole time. I get the feeling there might be someone who would have something less than positive to say about that particular plan. Hopefully I'll manage to work in a few hours each day, though.

*****

No comments: