Thursday, January 31, 2013

Almost Fuzzy

*Ow. Sliced my left thumb pretty good while cutting onions for what I was cooking for lunch on Monday. It was one of those cuts that, when I saw it, even I thought it might need a stitch or two. And I'm usually fine with the good ol' paper towel held on with a rubber band kind of bandage. The mistake I made (other than cutting myself in the first place) was opting to go to the ER instead of an urgent care. The 2.5+ hour wait to be seen made sure that I had plenty of time to stop the bleeding. Which didn't really matter, since they had to break it back open to scrub it out (not a pleasant feeling, mind you) before they closed it back up again. I was also dreading getting the xylocaine shots that usually preceed getting stitches. Turns out that I had nothing to worry about, as the ER doc decided to glue the wound shut. Part of me was happy for that, and part of me was doubtful about how effective it would be. The latter part was mostly right, turns out. I have managed to hit it on things several times since then, and have been rewarded with fresh bleeding each time. There also seems to be a decent sized wedge of dead skin on either side of the cut that will have to get trimmed off at some point in time. Joy.

*It was a rainy, foggy Tuesday night. Luckily, Carol, Leslie, and Bart all came by for drinks, conversation, and games.Turned out to be a really nice evening. Got to play Apples to Apples, Zombie Dice, Chupacabra, and Martian Dice. Have to make sure do that again real soon.

*Thunderstorms? In January? In Illinois? Very unusual...

*Been watching the first season of Dexter while taking my daily walk. Sheri decided that it wasn't something she was interested in after watching the pilot episode. So, now I have it all to myself.

*As of Tuesday, January 29, I finally learned both of the teams that are in the Super Bowl this year. Pretty sure that has to be a personal record for me.

*Tried the new hibachi restaurant in DeKalb the other day. Very nice decor. Food was pretty good. The hibachi presentation was decent, but not quite polished yet. Beer selection was scant. Prices were pretty steep. Hopefully the Fushi Yami side of things will help keep the hibachi side afloat while they get established.

*"Seeking a Friend for the End of the World"  I like Steve Carrell. And what's not to like about an apocalypse movie? Put the two together, and you get a decent result. The flavor of this film is just so different than movies like, say, "Armageddon", that I have a hard time comparing them. So I won't. I'll just say that I did like the movie, and it gave me a new perspective on the classic 'end of the world' type movies.

*The fez gods are still viewing me with indifference.

*****

No comments: