Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cabbage and Gumdrops

**I think I would consider today's flea market journey a success. The tiki gods were indifferent to my pleas, except in the area of weather. It was an un-be-fucking-lieveablely gorgeous day to be out tromping around. Saw some lovely pin-up art, but my limited funds kept me on the trail of tiki stuff. I think the grand total of viewed tiki items was 4-8, depending on how you would decide to classify such things. I wound up coming home with 3 of them. Found an nice Orchids of Hawaii tiki glass with both its original green crystal eyes intact. Didn't sound quite right when I gave it the flick test, but I couldn't see any apparent cracks, so I bought it. Scott was doing a 'clean-out-the-closet-sale', so the tiki percentage in his booth was pretty darn low. Did manage to find the pepper shaker to go along with the toothpick holder that Big B gave me, along with a smallish ashtray (?) made by Treasure Craft. Picked up an older card game from Scott too, mostly because the card were still wrapped in their original plastic. What I failed to realize was that there were supposed to be several plastic hands in the box, which weren't in there (The game is a variant of Spoons). So I figured I could just substitute poker chips or something similar. I may also post a wanted notice on boargamegeek, just in case someone has some they wouldn't mind parting with. I also found a copy of Stop Thief, which was one of my favorite board games back in the 80's (I was so jealous that Darren Pettyjohn had a copy and I didn't). The only downside was that the instructions were missing. I figured I should be able to get those off the 'net with no trouble. All I have to do is make sure the electronic Crime Computer works, and I should be quite the happy camper. In that same booth, there was a copy of the base set for Heroscape. This was another game that looked cool to me, but I have been avoiding because of it's collectible/customizable nature. I asked the guy whose booth it was to give me a deal, and I got Heroscape along with the copy of Stop Thief for $25, which was a good deal to me (and much less than the tag price of $48 for the two). Of course the big blue IKEA tote bag was MIA this morning, so I was left to lug two massive board game boxes through the last 1/4 of the flea market. That made my wrist feel just soooo good. When I got home I found out that the copy of Heroscape may have been opened once, but looked as if it had seen no play time. Double bonus! I think a trip to the game store may be in order tomorrow to see how much $$ the expansion packs go for. I'm also interested in seeing how easily the terrain sets can be used for Battletech. But after scarfing down a quick lunch, briefly oohing and aahing over my new treasures, and taking a less than satisfying 1/2 hour nap, it was off to work. Had to leave the beautiful day behind and descend into the pit. So not fair.

**A rainy Monday is what the forecasters say is in store for me. Fine. Whatever. Just have stinking paperwork to do anyway...

**Pinklady's state of agitated rearranging has started to spread into areas that do not overly concern her. The pissy part is that she made a suggestion that covered something I was already considering doing. That means a trip to IKEA is somewhere in the future. Smell that? It's the sound of a soon-to-be-overheated credit card...

**It was good to see David today, even though neither one of us is quite sure exactly how many times he's been married.

**I better not get my hands on the IS geek who's been hacking away at my access level...

**OK, the recipe said to bake the stuffed mushrooms until the bread crumbs on top were golden brown. The problem was that the bread crumbs started off golden brown. How much more goldener browner could they get? What mystical level of golden brownness was I supposed to wait for?? Next time I'm just heating a pizza.

**New favorite breakfast food: toast with peanut butter studded with blueberries! Shame there was no bacon in the house...

**Have you checked out yogabeans.com yet?? I swear I was laughing so hard, but having to hold it in because I was at work that I thought my spleen was going to detonate and come shooting out of my belly button! I find I must most humbly bow at the feet of a comedy master!!

**NO NO NO NO NO!!!! IT IS TOO FUCKING EARLY FOR HALLOWEEN STUFF TO BE OUT!!!!

**

1 comment:

freckles said...

really...Halloween...try Christmas stuff at Hobby Lobby!!!! Thats unbeleivable!