Saturday, October 11, 2008

Healing

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Well, It Used To Be Sore....

Wherein our hero gets overly dramatic.

Saturday morning, October 4th, Sleep Inn and Suites, Washington, IL

"It's like a scab that has fallen off. There was a remembered wound. There was pain, injury, and then the event passed or ended. There is a lingering remnant the serves as a reminder while the healing goes on (1). Then that falls off, and all you have left is a scar. Whatever issues, whatever wounds, whatever unfinished business (be it real or imagined) that I was set to bring to this reunion seems to have evaporated (2). There is nothing left. None of the people, none of the physical structures. There is no perfectly preserved time capsule of events surrounding that time period (3). Aside from that cardboard box of stuff sitting on the bed in my hotel room (4). What was I expecting? Given, the weekend isn't over yet, and odd things do tend to happen but so far, things have gone in a predictable manner (5). Pinklady was right about the primary topic of conversation (6)."

(1) Overly dramatic for sure. Not totally inaccurate, but a bit much for the average taste, to be sure. Then again, I am a writer.

(2) This seems to have been annoyingly true. Aside from the fact that my memory has been proven to be wildly inaccurate regarding this period of time, very few of the players in the drama of my life were even there. And I just keep seeing that scene from 'Grosse Point Blank' in my head: 'There is no us'. That would be true regarding my high school days. Very very few super close friends, no opposite sex relationships, no long standing grudges or feuds (that I know about). There are a lot of other things missing as well, and without them (not counting Cromag), there's really not a lot to discuss with others at the reunion.

(3) Time has it's way with everything and everybody. I'm not the same as I was then (I can only hope), so why should I expect other people and things to be? As true as that is, the whole series of events left me a profound feeling of disconnection.

(4) Which generated very little interest.

(5) In fact, nothing even remotely odd happened, and things did indeed reel out in a predictable manner.

(6) And that would be kids.

No comments: