Friday, January 1, 2010

Strobing Macaroni Phone Apps

*Not only was it fuckingdamnwitchasscold last night, it was also freakishly bright. It was pretty cloudless, and there's just something about the winter sky that just seems to intensify the light from a full moon. Not to mention that all the snow on the ground right now acts like a big reflector. Really pretty. To bad it doesn't happen when it's 75 degrees outside so I could take some time and really enjoy it.

*Haven't had any really striking ideas for the remodel of the bar I recently acquired. First thing I need to do is shore up the general structure before I go adding to anything to it. Now I'm sitting here wondering if I could fit that bubble light I have in the bottom center of the bar. I'm thinking that would look pretty cool.

*I have read all the rules to the new games I acquired over the holidays. Now I just need to get some playtime on them. I'm sure I can get Dewey to play Memoir '44, but I'm not sure who else might find that one interesting. The Scrabble card game I know will be a tough sell to all the non-spelling folk I know. Easter Island I like the concept for, but since it reminds me of an inverse Black Box, I doubt I'll try and get Stories to play. On another game related front, I may try and roll out Munchkin as a way of trying to entice some more members of DRMG over to the board game side of things. Still waiting to hear back from Rover to see if I'm still going to be running a HeroScape exhibition game at the next game day. And that reminds me that I need to paint the bases of all my duplicates different colors if I intend to make matched squads for a mirror map,

*While I don't really enjoy cleaning out Lucy's funknasty yeasty ear infection gunk, it's better than finding out some of your pet's teeth have just rotted off in their head. Also, it's kinda funny to see her run and hide at the sight of a Q-tip.

*Every last cent of gift money that we got over the holidays, plus a decent amount more, is now gone form our bank account. And not a damn bit of fun was had in the process. Between her car and the dogs, it all just went away. In rather painfully large clumps. And speaking of her car, since UPS had the day off on New Year's Eve, MotorWorks didn't get the delivery that contained the tires they were going to put on her car. First of all, I had never thought of UPS delivering tires. Not sure why, just never crossed my mind. Secondly, that means her car has to go in yet again, to have the tires put on and the alignment done. I find I can now appreciate a little bit more the headaches endured by one-car families.

*This time it was purely accidental that I noticed Mango's stripes.

*I really had no great hopes for the NYE party at the Graham's new house, and in spite of my work day starting off with a dead 11 year old, I ventured forth into the frigid night and journeyed off to the barrens of northern Cortland. Their new house is nice. Not my style, but nice. But the whole idea of being one of maybe six houses in this little cluster at the edge of the airport in a bankrupt subdivision creeps me out a little. Reminds me of a setting for a Twilight Zone story. Anyway, most of the usual neighborhood players were there, and the evening actually proved to be more entertaining that I had thought it would be. As has been a recurring theme for the holidays this year, I ate way more than I should have and have been feeling rather logy and gross all day because of it. I was chastised for my lack of H'ween party hosting as well as my seeming unwillingness to walk two doors down to fetch a book. I also came to the conclusion that everyone who brings food to one of these events brings enough to feed the entire 5th Army. I will be imposing strict limits on the quantities involved in the next 'dish to pass'.

*Sparkly vampires? Really?? Give me a freakin break...

*My log is drying out. Quickly. And this happens to be one of those rare times when it's easier to work with soft wood. So, I really need to get this current tiki carving done pretty damn soon. The checks are getting to be huge, and it's getting to be more and more work to drive the chisel through that dried top layer of wood. Once I get down into it a bit, it's still a little softer, but this piece is gonna be unbelievably hard when it cures completely, which is exactly what I would expect hedge to be. The part I didn't expect was the seeming lack of the characteristic yellow color of said wood. All the tiny little lifts and lips that I put into the surface when I was doing the lay-in work have hardened into nice sharp little knife-like edges that are just so quick to slit the side of your hand open. All the checks are now guarded by needle-like splinters, too. Makes me really appreciate having sharp tools to work with.

*Had an absolutely fascinating TXT chat with EPro. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

*While it was nice to actually see that someone had posted a comment on one of my blog entries, it was slightly less exciting to see that it was from the author of a book I had recently read encouraging me to read the follow-up book. Still, I guess it's better than a kick in the head, and I will be adding that book to my 'want to read' list.

*Finally all of the required parts for the completion of the master bath remodel are on-site. Horst will be back on Monday morning, and maybe by the end of the week I will be writing yet another hugemongous check. In that situation, I still don't know which is the cloud and which is the elegant brushed nickel lining.

*It was just a mole, or maybe a it was a skin tag, but I still couldn't take my eyes off of it.

*I was asked by DarkAer if I was going to make any resolutions for the new year. I decided that I wasn't. I've found over the years that I wasn't any more likely to keep a resolution made on Dec 31 than I was to keep a resolution made at any other time of the year. I have also found that the notion of 'actions speak louder than words' rings a little bit more true with me the older I get. So, nope, no resolutions. I do have something I have already put into action rather than just talking about it, and that's good enough for me.

*Sized the band, read the manual, and got everything set to the right time, so now the Anniversimas watch is in use. And I've already scuffed up the band.

*I am fairly sure I will be getting several thank you notes from the folks who issued me my credit cards, maybe even candy or flowers.

*

No comments: